Money can get really tight when you’re living on just one income. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that if you’re currently searching for the answer to how moms find work from home.
I remember when I was dreaming about leaving my corporate job to be home with my kids. My biggest challenge to becoming a stay-at-home mom was finances—how could we live on just one income?
The simple answer was, we couldn’t. And so I began my journey to finding work from home that I could do part-time while being home with my kids.
And I’m happy to report that I found the solution that has allowed me to be home with my kids for over 10 years now.
This is also good news for you.
Why, you ask. Because I’m sharing everything I learned about how moms find work from home with you.
WHAT DOES WORK FROM HOME INCLUDE?
Over 10 years ago, when I first started looking for work from home, I would see tons of mommy magazine ads, online forums, and blog posts talking about doing data entry work and taking surveys for cash.
I thought that was all that was out there for moms to do–menial jobs that didn’t require much thought.
But thankfully, as I continued my search, I found several businesses that were looking for the talents that stay-at-home moms offered.
And now, work from home can include all ranges of skills—from blogging to accounting and everything in between.
HOW TO GET STARTED WORKING FROM HOME?
Before you start looking for work from home, it’s best to first figure out what type of job or home business is right for you.
You have unique strengths, skills, and abilities that will fit best in certain types of jobs.
STEPS TO IDENTIFY YOUR STRENGTHS
A great way to discover the strengths you already have is to think back to your childhood and follow these steps:
Step 1 – Look for those positive patterns of behavior that seem to have always been a part of you.
Step 2 – Think about those activities you used to do that made you feel confident and excited.
Step 3 – Answer the question: What were those things that got you up early in the morning or kept you up late into the night because you loved doing them so much?
Step 4 – Think back: were you a natural at persuading others to do what you suggested? Then a sales-type job may be a natural fit.
Were you a tech-wiz, spending lots of time on the computer, or perhaps a natural at socializing with others? You may be a great social media manager or web designer.
Step 5 – Think about it: were you the crafty type, creating beautiful, handmade items that others begged you for?
Maybe an Etsy shop or an eBay store is an ideal place for you to sell your handcrafted items and earn an income.
Write out your answers to these questions and look for patterns. These will give you clues about your ideal work from home.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS IN FINDING WORK FROM HOME
To really enjoy working from home, you have to find jobs or businesses that allow you to use your strengths.
If you choose work that you’re not gifted to do, it will begin to feel like a burden.
When we ignore the “tools” we were given at birth and try instead to operate outside our true purpose, we are left feeling empty, unfulfilled, and dissatisfied.
We then begin to envy what others have and doubt our own abilities.
This leads to imitating those we wish to be like and ignoring the strengths and natural abilities we already have.
By taking the time to do the work in discovering your strengths, you’ll set yourself up for success in your work from home.
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW MOMS FIND WORK FROM HOME
1. How do stay at home moms make money from home?
One of the biggest questions for moms who want to be home is how do stay-at-home moms make money from home.
The good news is that there are many different ways to make extra money from home. Here are some resources to help you get started:
- How to Make an Extra $500 a Month from Home
- The Best Way to Pay Off Debt When You’re Broke
- How to Make Money Online Without Blogging
- Don’t Make Enough Money to Save? Here’s How to Make More
- 26 Profitable Home Business Ideas That Are Proven to Work
- 33 Legit Ways Moms Make Money from Home (with Limited Time)
2. How can I make money from home with no experience?
If you’re a mama, you have experience. What companies are ultimately hiring are skillsets and work ethics.
Whether you’ve gotten them by working outside the home or through various projects around the home or in the community, it really doesn’t matter.
What makes the difference is how you package it.
Let me explain. You can make money from home with no experience by selling how your skills and strengths can benefit the company you’re interviewing with.
That’s why it’s so important to first identify your strengths and skills before searching for jobs online–you’ll be able to pick out jobs that fit your specific skillset. Then you can really sell yourself.
Another option is to start your own business. Then you get to set your own rules.
For ideas of which type of business you can start with no experience, this post on profitable home business ideas will give you several ideas that are proven to work.
3. What are the best stay-at-home mom jobs?
The best stay-at-home mom jobs are the ones that use your skills and strengths and give you flexibility in your workday.
This is one of the reasons why I’m always promoting Hire My Mom. HireMyMom.com focuses strictly on home-based jobs and projects that work perfectly for moms who want to work from home.
To make it easier for you, you can always bookmark the Work at Home Jobs category here on Moms Making Money from Home.
I list the best stay-at-home mom jobs available from sites like Hire My Mom, Indeed, Flexjobs, and ZipRecruiter and many others.
4. What is the best way to find work-from-home jobs?
One of the ways how moms find work from home is online. You can find numerous listings for work from home jobs on various job sites.
However, some listings are better for stay-at-home moms than others. Here are some of the best resources I’ve found for moms:
- Work-at-home Jobs Listing – I post the latest work-at-home jobs for moms here on this site. These postings will help you find legitimate work-at-home jobs, helping you avoid work from home scams.
- Hire My Mom – A work-from-home job service that helps women find flexible, legitimate, home-based work. There is a membership fee that helps Hire My Mom vet the quality of each applicant. As a result, they are able to attract top-notch employers who allow telecommuting arrangements.
- Mom Corps – This company focuses on helping experienced professionals find non-traditional careers. Their aim is to place moms in flexible or virtual positions. You simply register, search the job postings, and apply for ones that fit your skillset.
In my post on the steps to take to become a work-at-home mom, I list several other resources for finding work from home.
5. How do I get a job as a stay-at-home mom?
Working from home can be a rewarding opportunity and can be easier than you think. Many moms start with finding a work at home job instead of starting a home business.
So, how do you get a job as a stay-at-home mom?
Step 1: After figuring out your strengths and skills, search online for the types of jobs that use those skills. It can be a simple as googling something like, “types of work at home jobs for organized people.”
Step 2: Make note of the types of jobs your search uncovers. You will use this list to search online job boards for at-home jobs.
Step 3: Next, you’ll need to create your online resume and cover letter for the job you’re applying for. Don’t panic! We’ll cover what to put on them in the next step.
Step 4: Then practice your interviewing skills by writing out your responses to the common interview questions, such as:
- Tell me about yourself.
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Why do you want to work from home?
- How do you stay focused on your tasks?
- What questions do you have?
Step 5: Be sure to have answers ready for these types of questions. And be sure to have 3 to 5 questions ready to ask the interviewer about the company, the job, and their expectations.
6. What should stay-at-home moms put on their resumes?
I have some good news and some bad news. We’ll start with the bad.
You will have to get rid of the idea that you can create one resume and use it for every job you apply for.
Sorry, but every job you apply for needs a tailored resume.
The good news is I’ll share with you exactly how to do that. And once you create the initial resume, it doesn’t take that much work to tailor it for each job.
So, what should stay-at-home moms put on their resumes? You’ll need to tailor your resume to every job description, using the right resume keywords. Here’s how:
- Read the job description carefully to identify the skills and experiences the hiring company is looking for. These are the keywords that you will include on your resume.
- Tailor your resume to include those keywords that match your skillset and experiences. This will provide the hiring manager with important information about you.
- Also, include your unique strengths and gifts that relate to the job you’re applying for.
- Put these keywords throughout your resume–in the resume objective, as well as in the Skills and Experience sections.
- Finally, add these keywords in your cover letter tailored for each position you apply for.
Here’s an example of how this works:
Download a Copy of this Guide:
THE LAST THING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT FINDING WORK FROM HOME
In answering the question how moms find work from home, it boils down to these 3 steps:
- Start with discovering who you are—your strengths, skills, and abilities.
- Showcase those skills in a keyword-based resume and cover letter.
- Then find those work-from-home jobs or businesses that best utilize your strengths and skills.